Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ribs... A Quick Post

Some of my wife's family were coming into town this weekend and I wanted to do a little egging to show off the egg a little since they have heard about it; but have never eaten anything made on one. My wife's cousin Mark is a foodie like me and when we get together, a lot of the conversation is about food. Our latest cooks, discoveries, favorites... that kind of stuff.

I decided that ribs might be the easiest and best way to provide a taste of the egg without too much trouble and add a little food to their visit.

Picked up 3 racks of baby backs from Wegmans, along with a jar of Wegman's brand Organic BBQ sauce.

This is only the 3rd time I have done ribs on the egg; but will be doing more soon. Wanted to keep it simple. I gave the ribs a pretty good coating of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and set them in the rack. The egg was set up for indirect cooking and the temp was stabilized at 300 using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump charcoal and about 4 large chunks of hickory for smoke.

Some of visiting family came over while the ribs were cooking. They couldn't wait for later on when we'd be eating...

After about 4 hours, I did the bend test to check and see if they were done. The test is simple. Pick up a full rack at one end with a pair of tongs and if they bend down to about 90 degrees, the ribs are done. Now that they were done, I took them off and gave them an all over light coating of the Wegmans Organic BBQ sauce and returned them too the egg to set the sauce for about 30 minutes.

Put them in a foil pan covered with foil and hit the road... My sister in law kept them warm in a low oven until all of the guys had returned from a Gannon University basketball game (the reason behind their visit).

The ribs were outstanding... The rub, smoke, and sauce all came together really well... Here they are after the sauce has set.



Let me know if you make ribs, how you do them, or if you try them this way...

Have a great day!

Ed

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Dave... they turned out pretty well. Made some more last night so my brother in law could get some this time LOL

    ReplyDelete