Saturday, January 5, 2013

Friday Night Snack... Pizza!

Friday night; long day, minimal dinner... I walked outside on the deck planning on simply enjoying a cigar. As I walked around; I wandered over to my Egg and thought about how I probably wouldn't be egging anything until Sunday as we going out to dinner on Saturday night.

When I walked back inside to retrieve my beverage; I said to my wife in passing that I felt like egging something. Her immediate response was; "why don't you do a pizza". Hmmm, what do I have on hand that I could use? I normally don't do any shopping until Saturday or Sunday mornings, so I figured I would have to wing it (like I usually do).

After a quick check of the fridge and freezer; I found a thin crust pizza shell from Shady Maple, left over from a pizza night a few months ago, a container of mozzarella cheese, a can of black olives, and a freezer bag of BBQ pulled beef that I had made back over the summer.

No sauce anywhere. Okay, no problem. Set a pot of water on the stove with the bag of BBQ beef in it to thaw it out, put the cheese in the microwave to thaw it out, and headed outside to get the egg fired up.

Put some new lump (Wicked Good) on top of the leftovers from my last cook; and used my Looftlighter to get it started. After a few minutes, I had a nice little area glowing red. Loaded in my grate and pizza stone set-up and went inside to check on the ingredients while the egg got up to pizza baking temps. I like to do pizzas anywhere between 600F - 800F on the dome thermometer.

All the ingredients were ready... The pie was assembled very simply. Heavy layer of the mozzarella, a couple of good handfuls of the black olives, and then topped it with the BBQ beef and a little shredded Parmesan that I found. I think the beef tasted better than when I made it months ago...

Took the pie out to the egg and set it on the stone. The egg and stone had gotten up to a nice and toasty 650F. After about 9 minutes, the crust was nice and crisp and the cheese was melted. Grabbed my pizza peel and took it off and inside.

Here is the finished pie...

For some last minute and simple ingredients; this turned out really well... In the future when I am doing BBQ pulled beef or pork, I will be sure to freeze a bag or two for future pizza creations.

My wife said this "recipe" had better make it to that blog you started...

So here it is.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Ed

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful looking pizza. Try it with some bbq sauce sometime if you are out of sauce. It would go well with the pulled beef. Your blog is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete